Monday, May 23, 2016

Tales from the "Fail Files"

Not every photo session comes out. Many things can go wrong during a photo shoot. Human error, equipment failure or circumstances beyond our control. These are some of the things that can happen when we create photo sets. Whatever it maybe, the end result is, we can never sell the set. Fortunately it doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
 Although we have a few unusable sets, there are some ok photos within those sets, that it would be a shame not to share them. Perhaps they aren't exactly perfect, but we present them here, from the "Fail Files"


Equipment failure/ Human error.  








Ok I'm not perfect, it's important to pay attention to the details, and for this set, I missed it. We had the pleasure of working with a model, who we will call "K". We had already met K before, she was a friend of a friend, and I will admit, I really wanted to work with her for awhile. But sadly she doesn't live close and we both have hectic schedules. So when the opportunity presented itself to shoot K, we didn't hesitate. We only had her for just one set. It was a cool night when she arrived, so we would try to make the most of it. We set up a simple black backdrop and the idea I had for this set was to throw buckets of water on her and try to capture the water in flight. I though that this would be a fun idea and I set up two strobes for this set. One strobe was set up to capture the water as it was in the air, the other was my main key light. We had a great time. Friends assisted, by throwing the buckets of water at her, and all seemed well. 
What I missed was the equipment failure. 
It wasn't until we downloaded the set when I discovered the failure to fire, as the water wasn't lit as I expected. So what went wrong? Well, when I did the initial test, both strobes were working. The camera was adjusted to both lights and my test shots were lit as I expected. However, as the set progressed, the strobe I set up to capture the water in midair, did not fire. At the time, I thought it was, because I was seeing a flash in my viewfinder. But the flash I was seeing was apparently coming from the working strobe. As it turned out, the failure to fire on the strobe I set up to capture the water in flight had a loose plug. It was a simple failure with an easy fix, but I just didn't take notice to check a photo in the camera or glance at the strobe occasionally. And it costs us time and effort. To add insult to injury, we won't have another opportunity to work with K again. Although we continue to remain friends, K has moved on from modeling for bigger and better things. The moral of the story, don't take things for granted. 

Sincerely EdR



 




No comments:

Post a Comment